IBM TS1080 Tape Drive
The IBM TS1080 Model F8C is designed to be installed in an IBM TS4500 Tape Library to deliver high capacity and performance for midrange to hyperscale open systems environments. This model incorporates the new IBM LTO Ultrium 8 Tape Drive with enhanced maximum tape drive throughput over the IBM LTO Generation 7 tape drives (Ultrium 7). It has a native data transfer of up to 360 MBps for FH tape drives and 300 MBps for HH tape drives.
TS1080 tape drives support the LTO Generation 8 media specification of over double the compressed capacity of up to 30 TB with 2.5 to 1 compression (up to 12 TB native capacity) as compared to previous LTO 7 compressed capacity of up to 15 TB with 2.5 to 1 compression (up to 6 TB native capacity) per tape cartridge. IBM LTO 8 tape drives can read and write LTO Ultrium 7. The TS1080 has an 8 Gbps Fibre Channel dual-ported interface for connection to a wide spectrum of open system servers.
Model abstract 3588-F8C
The IBM 3588 TS1080 Model F8C has one card slot, 12 TB data capacity (native), 30 TB data capacity (comp.), and one IBM Ultrium tape drive.
IBM TS1080 Model F8C can help improve data center economics as the number of tape drives, cartridges, and associated floor space may be reduced, delivering higher performance and greater capacity as compared to IBM TS1070 Tape Drive Model F7C.
IBM Ultrium 8 features to help improve performance and reliability include:
- Native data transfer rate of up to 360 MBps for full-high (FH) tape drives
- LTO generation 8 media specification tape cartridge compressed capacity of up to 30 TB (up to 12 TB native)
- 8 Gbps Fibre Channel dual-ported drive attachment
- A 1 GB internal buffer
- Support for media partitioning and self-describing tape with IBM Spectrum Archive Enterprise Edition
- LTO Ultrium 8 encryption support
- Support for new and field merge TS1080 (3588-F8C) drives into 3584 models L55 and D55
- LTO Ultrium 8 cartridge capacity of up to 278 PB per library (up to 695 PB with 2.5 to 1 compression)