Model 3588-F7C (TS1070)
IBM TS1070 Tape Drive
The IBM 3588 TS1070 Model F7C is designed to be installed in an IBM TS4500 Tape Library to deliver high capacity and performance for the midrange open systems environment. These models incorporate the new LTO IBM Ultrium 7 Tape Drive with enhanced maximum tape drive throughput over the IBM LTO generation 6 tape drive (Ultrium 6). It has a native data transfer of up to 300 MB/sec.
The TS1070 Tape Drive supports the LTO Generation 7 media specification of over double the compressed capacity of up to 15 TB with 2.5 to 1 compression (up to 6 TB native capacity) as compared to previous LTO 6 compressed capacity of up to 6.25 TB with 2.5:1 compression (up to 2.5 TB native capacity) per tape cartridge. IBM Ultrium 7 Tape Drives can read and write LTO Ultrium 6 and read LTO Ultrium 5 Data Cartridges. The TS1070 has an 8 Gbps Fibre Channel dual-ported interface for connection to a wide spectrum of open system servers.
IBM Ultrium 7 enhancements that help improve performance and reliability include:
- Native data transfer rate up to 300 MB/sec
- LTO Generation 7 media specification tape cartridge compressed capacity of up to 15 TB (up to 6 TB native)
- 8 Gbps Fibre Channel dual-ported drive attachment
- A 1 GB internal buffer
- Support for media partitioning and self describing tape with IBM Spectrum Archive Enterprise Edition
- LTO Ultrium 7 encryption support
- LTO Ultrium 7 cartridge capacity of up to 139 PB per library (up to 347.5 PB with 2.5:1 compression)