TS3500 Tape Library
- Support highly-scalable, automated data retention on tape using Linear Tape-Open (LTO) Ultrium and IBM 3592 tape drive families
- Deliver extreme scalability and capacity, growing from one to 16 frames per library and from one to 15 libraries per library complex
- Provide up to 900 PB of automated, low-cost storage under a single library image, improving floor space utilization and reducing storage cost per TB with IBM 3592 JC Enterprise Advanced Data Cartridges
- Enable data security and regulatory compliance via support for tape drive encryption and write-once-read-many (WORM) cartridges
The IBM® System Storage® TS3500 Tape Library is designed to provide a highly-scalable, automated tape library for mainframe and open systems backup and archive that can scale from midsize to large enterprise environments.
Automates solutions for open and mainframe environments
The TS3500 Tape Library continues to lead the industry in tape drive integration with features such as persistent worldwide name, multipath architecture, drive/media exception reporting, remote drive/media management and host-based path failover. The L23 and D23 frames support the IBM System Storage TS1140, TS1130, TS1120 or IBM 3592 J1A tape drives. The L53 and D53 frames support LTO Ultrium 6 tape drives as well as previous-generation LTO Ultrium tape drives. L-frame models support improved cartridge handling, hot-swappable drive packaging and the option of an additional 16-slot I/O station. The TS3500 model D23 and D53 frames can be attached to existing model L22 or D52 frames. Mixed media is supported by combining LTO Ultrium tape drives and the TS1140, TS1130, TS1120 or 3592 J1A tape drives within the TS3500 library, frame by frame.
The TS3500 Tape Library supports IBM System z® when used with the IBM 3953 Tape System, the IBM Virtualization Engine TS7740 or the IBM System Storage Tape Controller for System z with its embedded library manager. These systems enable System z hosts to access the TS3500 Tape Library cartridge inventory and allow connection to TS1150, TS1140, TS1130, TS1120 and IBM 3592 Model J1A tape drives. The TS3500 Tape Library can support up to four 3953 tape systems, up to eight Virtualization Engine TS7740 subsystems per physical library and up to 16 System Storage tape controllers for System z per logical library.
The System Storage Tape Controller for System z offers IBM FICON® attachments of TS1140 and TS1150 tape drives in a TS3500 Tape Library or rack, and reduces hardware and infrastructure requirements by sharing tape drives with FICON hosts. It can also add tape drives nondisruptively, which helps enhance configuration flexibility and availability.
- Massive scalability of cartridges and drives with the shuttle connector
- Maximized sharing of library resources with IBM Multipath architecture
- Ability to dynamically partition cartridge slots and drives with the advanced library management system
- Maximum availability with path failover features
- Supports multiple simultaneous, heterogeneous server attachment
- Remote reporting of status using Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
- Preserves tape drive names during storage area network changes
- Built-in diagnostic drive and media exception reporting
- Simultaneously supports TS1130, TS1140 and LTO Ultrium 6, 5 and 4 tape drive encryption
- Remote management via web browser
- One base frame and up to 15 expansion frames per library; up to 15 libraries interconnected per complex
- Up to 12 drives per frame (up to 192 per library, up to 2,700 per complex)
- Up to 224 I/O slots (16 I/O slots standard)
- IBM 3592 JA/JJ/JB/JC and JW/JR/JX/JY write-once-read-many (WORM) cartridges or LTO Ultrium 6, 5 and 4 cartridges
- Up to 125 PB compressed with LTO Ultrium 6 cartridges per library, up to 1.875 EB compressed per complex
- Up to 180 PB compressed with 3592 extended capacity cartridges per library, up to 2.7 EB compressed per complex
- LTO Fibre Channel interface for server attachment