DEC TKZ60, TKZ61, TKZ62, TKZ64
3480/3490 Tape Drive – TA90/91 compatible
3480/3490 Tape Drive – 10 Cartridge loader –
3480/3490/3490E Tape Drive – 10 Cartridge loader – TA90/91/92 compatibleTKZ62-AB – Pedestal, Single-ended SCSITKZ62-AC – Tabletop, Single-ended SCSITKZ62-AF -Tabletop, Fast Wide Differential SCSI
3480/3490/3490E Tape Drive – 60 Cartridge loader – TA90/91/92 compatible
TKZ62/63 Tape drive family
A range of options for IBM media compatibility and data interchange or backup via a SCSI interface
Using IBM 3480/3490/3490E compatible half-inch tape formats, the TKZ6x tape drive family has proven to be an effective way to maintain your IBM-compatible storage capabilities or add IBM-tape compatible media to your operation.
The TKZ6x tape drive family provides fast, dependable data interchange and/or unattended backup for IBM(R) 3480/3490/3490E users. With the SCSI-2 interface, connectivity is available on most Compaq CPUs and SCSI adapters, thereby allowing customers to maintain their IBM tape format across their entire enterprise.
The TKZ6x tape drive family provides a 10-cartridge loader, and a single loading drive in a 18/36-track IBM 3480/3490/3490E compatible format.
- Enables you to maintain the same IBM tape format across your entire enterprise – not just in the datacenter
- Provides a range of variants from manual loaded drives for sporadic data interchange needs to a 10-cartridge loader version for large unattended backups
- Fast SCSI selectability allows maximum performance on systems supporting Fast SCSI
- Compact size and low power consumption minimizes the valuable floor space required, decreases maintenance costs, and reduces cooling costs compared to TA9x series drives
- Tabletop and pedestal versions provide quiet operation ideal for office environments
- The differential SCSI variants allows placement of the tape drives at a considerable distance from the CPU
- The TKZ6x tape drive family is available in a variety of models in either desktop, pedestal or flush-mounted cabinet configurations including the StorageWorks(TM) SW500 and SW800 datacenter cabinet
- The TKZ62/63 drives provide complete data interchange coverage with its read/write compatibility in both 18-track and 36-track formats
- With OpenVMS(TM) VAX, OpenVMS Alpha, Alpha Windows NT(TM)*, and Tru64 operating system support, the TKZ6x tape drive family is ideal for open, client/server environments
- All TKZ6x family drives-except the FWD SCSI variants-are field configurable between single-ended and differential SCSI
- All TKZ6x family drives have IBM IDRC compatible data compression capability
- All TKZ6x family drives have an autoranging power supply
- FWD SCSI variants provide even faster data transfer rates
- Windows NT support requires optional QB-4STAA-SA software or QB4STAB-SA
TKZ62 series: 18- and 36-track format
The TKZ62 series drives read and write 18-track format on common 540-ft and 600-ft half inch tape cartridges. Please note that it is not possible to do write appends to an 18-track tape cartridge already containing data.
The TKZ62 series can also read and write 36-track format on the 1,100-foot thin-tape cartridge used by the Compaq TA92, IBM, and IBM-compatible 3490E tape drives. This ability of a 36-track drive to read and write 18-track format is unique in the industry. The TKZ62 series is available only as a 10-cartridge loader in either tabletop, pedestal, or rackmount configurations.
Like the TKZ62 drive, the TKZ63 series can read and write 18- and 36-track format tape but does not have the 10-cartridge loader mechanism. Thus, the TKZ63 is a manual load, single-cartridge drive. The TKZ63 is available as a tabletop unit. With an optional rackmount kit, the TKZ63 tabletop unit can be cabinet mounted.
Custom capabilities to enhance your information systems environment
Build up, not out with rackmount systems
Rackmount systems pack more compute power and storage capacity per square foot of floor space than conventional deskside or cabinet models. But it’s rackmounting’s configuration flexibility that can really make a difference in meeting your needs. Using a building-block approach, you can configure the optimum system to meet its goals with both Compaq and third-party components. At the same time, there’s built-in flexibility to upgrade configurations as needs change.
Rapid deployment, reliable systems with VIS
Once you’ve made an acquisition decision, you don’t want to wait forever to deploy the solution, or disrupt operations as you bring it online.
TKZ6x tape drive family specifications TKZ62 18/36-track TKZ63 18/36-track Interface (all drives) Differential fast Differential fast wide SCSI-2 wide SCSI-2 Media (0.5-in. cartridge) 3480/3490/3490E 3480/3490/3490E Format 18/36-track parallel, 18/36-track parallel, parallel, double parallel, double density density Automatic cartridge loader specifications Type Sequential or random*** N/A Magazine capacity 10 data cartridges N/A 1 cleaning cartridge N/A Unattended* capacity 10 cartridges: up to 24 GB N/A Dimensions (H x W x D) Embedded within drive N/A Nominal load-unload time 15 seconds N/A Media performance Tape speed 78-in/sec (2 m/s) 78-in/sec (2 m/s) Nominal rewind time 5 seconds 5 seconds Nominal load/unload time 15 seconds 15 seconds Maximum data-transfer rate 3.0 MB/s uncompressed 3.0 MB/s uncompressed 6.0 MB/s compressed 6.0 MB/s compressed SCSI transfer rate 7 MB/sec asynch. burst 7 MB/sec asynch. burst 10 MB/sec synch. burst 10 MB/sec synch. burst Reposition time (max) 600 ms 600 ms Formatted capacity/cartridge (Assumes 2:1 compression) (Assumes 2:1 compression) Uncompressed average 540 ft: 400 MB 540 ft: 400 MB 600 ft: 440 MB 600 ft: 440 MB 1100 ft: 800 MB 1100 ft: 800 M Compressed average 540 ft: 400 MB 540 ft: 400 MB 600 ft: 440 MB 600 ft: 440 MB 1100 ft: 2.4 GB** 1100 ft: 2.4 GB** Physical characteristics Dimensions (H x W x D) 6.97 in x 17 in x 24 in 10.2 in x 8.75 in x 17.05 in 17.71 cm x 43.19 cm x 61.10 cm 25.9 cm x 22.2 cm x 43.2 cm (Tabletop) (Tabletop) Weight 60 lbs (27.22 kg) 34.8 lbs (15.8 kg) Electrical Nominal power consumption 150 W/hr 150 W/hr Form factor Tabletop Yes Yes Pedestal Yes No Rackmount: RETMA 19-in. cab Yes, includes slides, Yes mounting hardware Requires optional rackmount kit (TKZ6R-AB) Metric cab Yes No Requires optional rackmount kit (TKZ6R-M1) SW500/SW800 cab Yes No Requires optional rackmount kits (TKZ6R-SX)
*If using Tru64, the Compaq Media Robotic Utility (MRU) software or NetWorker Save and Restore software is required to operate loader in unattended manner.
**Assumes 3:1 compression.
***Random selection requires special library software.
More great IBM-compatible SOLUTIONS from Compaq!
Compaq Tape Interchange System for Alpha Windows NT
Make the transition from your minicomputer/mainframe environment to Windows NT client/ server computing on the 64-bit Alpha platform while maintaining the ability to access your 1600/ 6250 bpi reel-to-reel or IBM 3480/ 3490/3490E media with the Compaq Tape Interchange System (TIS) for Alpha Windows NT.
Imagine being able to take a tape written by an IBM, Unisys, Amdahl, or Fujitsu mainframe and read it with your ProLiant or AlphaServer(TM) Windows NT system! Or write a tape with the ProLiant or AlphaServer unit for reading by any mainframe. That’s the power of the Compaq TIS software.
Of course, you’re not limited to mainframe interchange. The Compaq TIS software enables you to read and write tapes from popular minicomputers running a variety of operating systems.
TKZ90 tape drive
Based on the IBM 3590 tape format, the TKZ90 tape drive delivers 9MB/s data transfer rates along with the ability to handle both start/stop and streaming applications. Qualified on selected Compaq AlphaServer systems running in the TRU64 UNIX or OpenVMS environments and ProLiant systems running WNT. This efficient, reliable drive is ideal for backing up large amounts of data in short periods of time.
TKZ9F 8mm tape subsystem
The TKZ9F is a state-of-the-art, high-performance, industry-standard Exabyte(TM) compatible 8mm tape subsystem with built-in data compression capability for both backup and data interchange. It is supported by the TRU64 UNIX, OpenVMS VAX, and OpenVMS Alpha platforms.
TSZ07 1600/6250 bpi Tape Drive
For many years, 9-track, phase-encoded, half-inch, ANSI-compatible tape drives have been the worldwide industry-standard. The TSZ07 meets these standards and eases the process of critical data interchange in many governmental and business applications.
Order No. Description TKZ62 tape drive TKZ62-AG Rackmount version with FWD SCSI-2 interface with 3.0/6.0 TKZ62-AH Pedestal version with FWD SCSI-2 interface MB/Sec, 2.4 GB TKZ62-AI Tabletop version with FWD SCSI-2 interface per cartridge, 10-cartridge loader, 100/240 volt (2). TKZ63 tape drive TKZ63-BA Tabletop version, FWD SCSI- 2 interface with 3.0/6.0 MB/Sec, 2.4 GB per cartridge, single cartridge manual load, 100/240 volt (3). Options TKZ6K-30 30, 36-track tape cartridges TKZ6R-AB TKZ63-AA/AB 19" RETMA mounting kit. Mounts up to 2 drives TKZ6R-M1 1 drive, TKZ61/TKZ62 metric cab mounting kit TKZ6R-S1 1 drive, TKZ61/TKZ62 SW800 mounting kit TKZ6R-S2 2 drive, TKZ61/TKZ62 SW800 mounting kit TKZ6R-S3 3 drive, TKZ61/TKZ62 SW800 mounting kit
(1) Both TKZ62/63 variants come with one cleaning cartridge, one blank data cartridge, user manual, differential SCSI terminator and a 120 volt AC power cord. Rackmount variants require a 19″ RETMA mounting kit. SCSI cables must be ordered separately
(2) All model variants come with a cleaning cartridge, one blank data cartridge, user manual, technical manual, differential SCSI terminator, and a 120V AC power cord. Countries other than the U.S. and Canada require a country-specific power cord. Rackmount variations include slides and hardware to mount the drive in a 19 inch RETMA rack. Metric dimensioned or StorageWorks cabs require optional mounting kits. SCSI cables must be ordered separately. The FWD SCSI variants use a 68-pin, high density connector with two jack screws.
(3) All TKZ63 variants come with one cleaning cartridge, one blank data cartridge, user manual, technical manual, differential SCSI terminator and a 120 volt AC power cord. TKZ6R-AB required for rackmounting.