Blending flash-based solid state disk and hard disk drives to provide high performance at an affordable price seems to be a trend in the marketplace today. It seems as if every vendor offers a solution that meets this criteria. Bear in mind these systems are not the typical SAN storage arrays with a couple of SSD drives within the chassis. The controllers (often supporting multiple connectivity options) for Hybrid Storage Solutions along with the system itself have been optimized to address the question of how to best leverage flash by using flash as a large caching area, automatically moving the most active data into memory-based storage.
We at Sunstar Company work with a number of vendors that have Hybrid Storage offerings.
Nexsan’s (an Imation Company) hybrid offerings include:
Nexsan NST6000 Enterprise Class Unified Hybrid Storage
Nexsan NST6000MC Unified Hybrid Metro Storage Cluster
Nexsan NST4000 Unified Hybrid Storage for the Mid-Market
Nexsan NST2000 Unified Hybrid Storage for Entry-Level
Imation’s Nexsan® NST combines high performance, high capacity and innovative FASTier® caching technology to provide scalable performance for mixed application workloads and virtualized environments.
- Fulfills changing application and storage needs with unified NAS and SAN access capabilities in a single hybrid solution
- Lets you right-size your initial acquisition by scaling storage, performance, or both as your company grows
- Compresses data to reduce its storage system footprint and improve write efficiency to cache and storage
To learn more (or receive a quote) about Hybrid Storage and the Nexsan NST product line, please contact a sales representative here at Sunstar:
NEXSAN NST2000 UNIFIED STORAGE WITH FIBRE OPTION
A truly efficient storage solution for the SMB market. As you will see below the NST2000 comes in a number of flavors with the ability to grow with ease.
Select Fibre or iSCSI Connectivity (A or B)
- NST2000 unified (NAS, SAN) storage systems all contain dual controllers, four quad-core processors, 96GB RAM, and four Fibre Channel ports for host connectivity per system. Includes core operating system, Data Protection Package and E-Centre management platform software licenses. Supports up to one external storage expansion unit with similar performance characteristics.
- NST2000 unified (NAS, SAN) storage systems all contain dual controllers, four quad-core processors, 96GB RAM, and optional four 10GgE or four/eight 1GbE ports for host connectivity. Includes core operating system, Data Protection Package and E-Centre management platform software licenses. Supports up to one external storage expansion unit with similar performance characteristics
Now select Capacity Required – two options available:
- Performance Optimized
- Capacity Optimized
All systems come standard with:
- FASTier® – Intelligent, self-tuning hybrid caching capability that uses a scalable pool of cache memory comprised of flash technologies to create a more efficient hybrid storage solution. Flash SSD technology is used to accelerate read and write IOPS and throughput. FASTier caching works transparently so there is no administration burden to turbo-charge I/O performance and handle the constant growth of mixed applications in your environment. FASTier caching is especially useful for random I/O workloads such as databases or for VMware, Xen or Hyper-V environments.
- Inline Compression – As data is written, NST compresses data prior to it being written to the RAID volume. This reduces the amount of data written to SSD cache or HDD storage media, and, in-turn shrinks the total storage capacity requirements, datacenter footprint and improves storage system performance. NST Inline Compression can be set on a per volume basis and is transparent operation.
Nexsan’s NST’s FASTier hybrid caching accelerates performance while the unified protocol enables mixed applications. The NST2000 delivers a full enterprise-class feature set for your mid-size data center storage.
|HYBRID STORAGE MODEL
|Controllers per system
|System CPU Cores
|System Memory (DRAM)
||192 – 384 GB
||5, 6, 10
||5, 6, 10
||5, 6, 10
|System Form Factor
||2U or 3U
|Maximum Raw Capacity
To learn more please reach out to us here at Sunstar Company, Inc. Please call (800) 663-5523 for additional information and a quote.
Imation Introduces the Nexsan™ Fibre Channel Hybrid Storage Appliance, Purpose-Built for Media and Entertainment and Data Protection Workloads
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
The NST2000 delivers next-generation hybrid caching technology to mid-sized organizations, fulfilling changing application and storage needs with new levels of performance, scalability and efficiency
Imation (NYSE:IMN), a global data storage and information security company, today at BVE 2015 in London introduced the Nexsan NST2000 – a new ultra-efficient hybrid storage appliance purpose-built for media and entertainment and data protection workloads that will deliver Fibre Channel connectivity and all the benefits of hybrid storage to mid-sized organizations. The NST2000 is only entry-level when it comes to its price point – it expands upon Imation’s Nexsan NST™ family of hybrid storage solutions, and will be spotlighted at Imation’s booth (M24) through the end of the show. It will be available in the second quarter.
The NST2000 delivers a powerful yet simple to deploy and manage hybrid storage solution using the latest high-performance technologies, and provides the scalability and flexibility to meet the needs of organizations that continue to rapidly add new applications to their environments. With an intelligent hybrid caching layer, NST2000 is optimized for mixed application workloads, media and entertainment workflows and data protection strategies. NST2000 also is ideal for organizations looking to strategically move toward hybrid storage and take advantage of the new levels of performance, availability and reliability it can deliver.
As with all of the hybrid storage systems in the NST product family, NST2000 has a standard all-inclusive software licensing model which includes features such as:
- Unified Fibre Channel Support – NST2000 expands the Nexsan NST family’s unified block and file sharing capabilities by adding Fibre Channel connectivity for those small and medium-sized organizations that prefer it for their applications. This gives organizations the ability to take advantage of the benefits of NST’s hybrid storage using a full range of unified storage protocols, including iSCSI, NFS, CIFS, FTP and now Fibre Channel.
- Capacity Scalability –NST2000 capacities start at 13TB and can scale up to 168TB and 2TB FASTier™ cache, delivering much more flexibility to IT administrators.
- Intelligent Hybrid Caching – The NST2000 combines Imation’s intelligent caching algorithms with solid-state disks (SSD’s) and the latest processor technology to provide blazing fast performance for business critical applications.
- Enhanced Data Reduction – The NST2000 delivers faster and smarter inline compression. Compressible data can be processed 50 percent faster than with preceding NST arrays, and intelligence removes the penalty of trying to act upon noncompressible data.
“With the introduction of the NST2000, organizations have an entirely new set of options for storing, managing and protecting the high-value data they create in situations like digital asset management in media and entertainment workflows,” said Mike Stolz, vice president of marketing and technical support for Imation’s Nexsan solutions. “They can deploy hybrid storage, realize new levels of performance, scale their data centers to new levels of capacity and much more – all at a price point that was previously inaccessible to them given their limited budgets and resources. We’re excited to help these organizations operate more efficiently and generate more ROI from their storage investment – and to add the NST2000 to help address a full range of application requirements.”
Imation’s Nexsan NST™ is a set of flexible hybrid storage appliances that scale to meet mid-sized organization application and storage needs with unified NAS and SAN access capabilities in a single solution. Other product lines in Imation’s deep Nexsan portfolio of purpose-built storage solutions are:
- Imation’s Nexsan E-Series™ is a family of high-density, high-performance and highly reliable storage solutions that can be directly attached or networked to workstations and servers.
- Imation’s Nexsan Assureon™ is a set of secure storage solutions that reduce storage cost by offloading and deduplicating data from primary storage that is infrequently used or has aged by policy.
For more information call Sunstar Company, Inc. (800) 663-5523
Hybrid Storage is defined as a combination of solid-state disk (SSD) and hard disk drives (HDD) in a single storage system.
Two approaches; the first being the more common method of placing SSD drives behind the controller as a capacity tier within the storage system.In the case of Nexsan, their E Series, fits this option should the system be configured with a mix of SSD and spinning disk such as the SAS and Near-line SAS drives.
This second approach is to use SSD to increase the cache memory pool so that I/Os are accelerated before they go through the controller to the back-end disk drives. The larger the cache memory pool, the greater the likelihood of getting a cache hit without having to access the back-end disks—which results in greater application performance.
The Nexsan NST4000 by Imation expands the availability of fault-tolerant FASTier™ DRAM caching and Fibre Channel SAN connectivity, and puts them in reach of mid-range businesses
Two Platform Options; Fibre and iSCSI
NST4000 Fibre Channel Unified Hybrid Storage Platforms
- NST4000 unified (NAS, SAN) storage systems all contain dual controllers, four quad-core processors, 96GB RAM, and four Fibre Channel ports for host connectivity per system.
- Includes core operating system, Data Protection Package and E-Centre management platform software licenses. Supports up to two external storage head units
NST4000 iSCSI Unified Hybrid Storage Platforms
- NST4000 unified (NAS, SAN) storage systems all contain dual controllers, four quad-core processors, 96GB RAM, and optional four 10GgE or eight 1GbE ports for host connectivity.
- Includes core operating system, Data Protection Package and E-Centre management platform software licenses. Supports up to two external storage head units.
External Storage Options:
To learn more about Imations’ Nexsan NST offerings, please call us at Sunstar Company at (800) 663-5523 or contact us online
The Nimble platform has been adopted by cloud service providers, and mid-sized and Fortune 500 companies across a wide range of industries. These customers rely on a mix of applications, and run a variety of workloads and then there is their superior customer experience.
Nimble believes flash will upend traditional disk-based architectures, and that cloud-based storage management will eventually replace current approaches to storage management.
- Flexible scaling of storage resources to satisfy the changing demands of business-critical applications
- Five times greater performance and capacity density than legacy storage systems
- Up to a 75% reduction in data footprint, and a 10x reduction in datacenter rack space
- Non-disruptive and independent scaling of performance and capacity, within a single array or a cluster
- As many as 90 days of hourly snapshots on a single array
- WAN-efficient replication of snapshot data for disaster recovery
- Peak storage health driven by powerful data sciences
- Greater than five nines system uptime
And then there is their products:
Nimble Storage CS-Series arrays are the building blocks of the Adaptive Flash platform. Nimble arrays deliver performance and capacity efficiency, seamless scalability and clustering, and feature integrated data protection, data sciences-based management, and support.
- The CS210 and CS215 provide value and performance for small to medium-sized IT organizations or remote offices, for workloads such as Microsoft Exchange and VDI.
- The CS300 is ideal for midsize IT organizations or distributed sites of larger organizations. It offers the best capacity per $ for workloads like Microsoft applications, VDI, or virtual server consolidation. The CS300 delivers 1.6x more IOPS than the CS215.
- The CS500 offers advanced performance for larger-scale deployments or IO-intensive workloads, like larger-scale VDI, and Oracle or SQL Server databases, and provides the best performance and IOPS per $. The CS500 achieves 5x the performance of the CS215.
- The CS700 is designed for consolidating multiple large-scale critical applications with aggressive performance demands. It delivers approximately 7x the IOPS of the CS215.
The Nexsan NST5000 is a modern hybrid storage appliance, a more efficient, agile and intelligent alternative to traditional storage arrays , filers, and all-flash arrays.
Organizations have different needs for performance, capacity and connectivity when managing and protecting the data that drives your business. The NST5000 blends solid-state technology, a highly scalable back-end storage infrastructure, multiple NAS/iSCSI front-end connections, and enterprise-class data management services in a single system. It gives you the convenience and control to meet the needs of one or more workloads in one dedicated easy-to-use appliance. For organizations struggling to meet both high performance and high capacity NAS or iSCSI application requirements, the NST5000 makes that easy with a hybrid of solid-state accelerated hard drives. For applications with the most stringent workload requirements like server virtualization, desktop virtualization (VDI), databases and cloud computing, the NST5000 delivers unparalleled performance to ensure application demands never outpace available I/O again. Your applications will have never performed faster on a system operating at the economics of spinning disk storage.
The NST5000 is fully featured with snapshots, replication, thin provisioning, replication, compression, and much more. A revolutionary GUI and scriptable CLI streamline setup and management for the time-constrained IT administrator. As with all Imation storage, the Nexsan NST5000 with E-Series disk arrays offers industry-leading density and power management for the smallest footprint with up to 60 disks in 4U, while consuming 85% less power when idle via AutoMAID® power saving technology. A no single point-of-failure architecture ensures the ultimate in reliability. The net of all this performance and functionality is a true enterprise-class solution without the enterprise-class price.
The proprietary Nexsan FASTier acceleration technology uses multiple types of solid-state memory, including DRAM and SSD to optimize block and file operations in a fault tolerant architecture. FASTier can scale from 100GB to 4.4TB – large enough to hold entire working sets for unprecedented application acceleration. Automatic caching algorithms remove the need for manual intervention or application-specific tuning. Whereas traditional disk storage is hard pressed to meet high I/O requirements and SSD-only arrays have a very high cost with limited capacity, Imation’s NST5000 Hybrid Storage Appliance realigns the trade-off between performance, capacity and cost so IT administrators can do more than ever before.
All NST5000 storage systems utilize SSD, NL-SAS or SAS drives; two redundant, high performance, multi-core Xeon-based storage controllers; high speed I/O subsystems and a fully redundant architecture. All active components are hot-swappable, including power supplies, disks and controllers. FASTier read and write cache complements up to 96GB DRAM per controller to significantly accelerate IOPS and throughput.
The NST5000 features up to 24 Xeon CPU cores and 192GB per dual-controller, up to 14 dedicated RAID engines, up to 5PB of capacity and up to 4.4TB of SSD in FASTier cache. The NST5100 delivers up to 15 drives and FASTier SSDs in a 3U chassis, and up to 16 more drives in a 3U drive expansion chassis, for a total raw capacity of up to 124TB.
The NST5300 houses up to 16 FASTier SSDs in a 3U chassis while leveraging Nexsan E-Series™ disk arrays on the backend, which deliver up to 360 drives in just 24U, while the NST5500 delivers up to 1,260 drives in just 84U. The NST5000 provides CIFS and NFS shared folders as well as iSCSI volumes. Snapshots do not require the pre-reservation of storage capacity, and they may be scheduled and managed easily from the management GUI or initiated from Windows VSS requestors.Individual shares, LUNs, or entire storage pools may be replicated asynchronously to a second NST5000 storage system, with snapshots intact for use on the target side for backups, testing or data mining. Synchronous replication utilizes two separate E-Series storage systems connected via Fibre Channel to the NST5000 head and written to simultaneously for business continuity. Active Directory and LDAP integration make it easy to manage user identities and access rights on the NST5000 shares, while CHAP, iSNS and LUN masking protect iSCSI traffic. Quotas limit storage consumption by share, and oversubscription is permitted for thin provisioning storage, along with alarms which notify when additional storage is needed. Capacity can be expanded by adding additional storage to a running system, so future needs can be met without incurring downtime. Moreover, link aggregation combines Ethernet ports for faster throughput.
For more information on Imation’s Nexsan storage solutions, visit www.sunstarco.com or call 800.663.5523
Imation (NYSE:IMN), a global data storage and information security company, today at VMworld® 2014 introduced the NST4000 – a new ultra-efficient hybrid storage appliance purpose-built for media and entertainment and data protection workloads that will deliver Fibre Channel connectivity and new levels of capacity and performance to the mid-range enterprise. The NST4000, the latest addition to Imation’s Nexsan NST™ family of storage solutions, will be at Imation’s booth, #2505, through the end of the show and will be available for delivery in the fourth quarter.
The NST4000 delivers genuine, efficient hybrid storage with tremendous efficiency and processing power using the latest high-performance technologies as well as the flexibility to meet the needs of organizations that continue to rapidly add new applications to their environments. With an intelligent hybrid caching layer, NST4000 is especially well-suited for mid-sized data centers, mixed application workloads, data protection strategies and media and entertainment industry workflows.
Specifically, NST4000 offers significant new user benefits, including:
- Fibre Channel Support – NST4000 expands the Nexsan NST family’s unified block and file sharing capabilities by adding Fibre Channel connectivity for those mid-range enterprises that prefer it for their applications. This gives organizations the ability to take advantage of the benefits of NST’s hybrid storage using a full range of unified storage protocols, including iSCSI, NFS, CIFS, FTP and now Fibre Channel.
- Higher Capacity Scalability – A single NST4000 array can non-disruptively scale to 2.1PB. This represents 50 percent more storage capacity scale and 45 percent more FASTier™ cache scale than preceding NST arrays could offer, delivering much more flexibility to IT administrators.
- Increased Performance – The NST4000 can deliver three times as many IOPs as preceding NST storage solutions. This is accomplished by combining optimizations in NestOS 3.1 with Imation’s fault-tolerant FASTier™ DRAM caching technology, solid-state disks (SSDs) and the latest processor technology.
- Enhanced Data Reduction – The NST4000 delivers faster and smarter inline compression. Compressible data can be processed 50 percent faster, and intelligence removes the penalty of trying to act upon noncompressible data.
“It’s hard to properly allocate storage capacity to support existing needs and plan for future data growth, because new applications with varying workloads are being introduced and integrated all the time,” said Mike Stolz, vice president of marketing and technical support for Imation’s Nexsan solutions. “It’s also hard to ensure there’s enough storage performance to support application and user demands – and even harder to build an infrastructure that delivers the right balance of capacity, performance, efficiency and ROI for the organization given all of these variables. The new NST4000 combines our experience designing the best in high-capacity, high-reliability storage with our proprietary, self-tuning hybrid cache system to create the ultimate solution for efficient mid-range storage.”
“The new NST4000 is an Imation proof point that they are executing their strategy around its Nexsan product portfolio, including bringing new storage value and productivity to the market,” said Greg Schulz, principal at StorageIO. “Their NST4000 is a hybrid mid-range storage solution including software defined storage management that provides scalability of performance and capacity, along with the reliability associated with the Imation brand. Being a hybrid also means the NST4000 has the flexibility to connect to your applications using multi-protocol block (SAN) or file (NAS) as well as support SSD caching and various types of disk drives. It’s time to ask not what you can do for your storage system, rather what can your hybrid storage system do for you and your applications.”
“We and our customers have had great success with Nexsan NST hybrid storage appliances from Imation, so we’re really looking forward to integrating the new Nexsan NST4000 into our offerings,” said Mark Tuggle of USI Corporation. “Nexsan NST solutions are fast, flexible, dense, scalable and value-packed – all at a very reasonable price point.”
Imation’s Nexsan NST™ is a set of flexible hybrid storage appliances that scale to meet mid-sized organization application and storage needs with unified NAS and SAN access capabilities in a single solution. NST combines high performance, high capacity and Imation’s innovative FASTier™ caching technology to provide scaling performance for backup, virtualized environments and mixed application workloads. FASTier is NST’s hybrid caching layer that combines intelligent algorithms with high-performance DRAM and SSD technologies to grow performance cost-effectively when it is required. NST enables businesses to right size their initial acquisition and increase performance as their applications demand it. Also, NST’s data compression capabilities reduce storage system footprint in the data center and improve write efficiencies and performance to SSDs and HDDs.
The NST family is just one part of Imation’s deep Nexsan portfolio of purpose-built storage solutions, enabling users to deploy the right storage products for the right application. The other Nexsan product lines are:
- Imation’s Nexsan E-Series™ is a family of high-density, high-performance and highly reliable storage solutions that can be directly attached or networked to workstations and servers. E-Series delivers the density and efficiency that mid-sized organizations need to scale their capacity while lowering their overall space requirements and operating costs. All E-Series systems take the extra step to reduce power and cooling requirements through their multi-level, power-reducing AutoMAID™ capabilities. They also include an easy-to-use management interface that simplifies deployment and management for the resource-constrained IT administrator.
- Imation’s Nexsan Assureon™ is a set of secure storage solutions that reduce storage cost by offloading and deduplicating data from primary storage that is infrequently used or has aged by policy. Assureon, through policy automation, can eliminate or greatly reduce the size, cost and complexity of backups for primary and infrequently accessed data. Assureon includes multi-tenancy – with secure copy creation, data movement and long term storage – and chargeback capabilities for public and private cloud deployments. Data integrity features like file-fingerprinting and automated self-healing integrity checks ensure that your high-value data is protected. Assureon’s security features comply with corporate and governmental regulatory requirements and make it well suited for medical, financial and government organizations.
For more information on Imation’s Nexsan storage solutions, visit www.sunstarco.com or call 800.663.5523
Nimble took a fundamentally different approach to other vendors.
Nimbles CASL architecture leverages multi-core processors and a new data layout that converts random writes into sequential writes. This allows dense, low-cost 7200 RPM disks to consistently perform at SSD speeds, eliminating the need to depend on disk spindles for performance.
CASL’s SSD read cache is much more efficient and responsive than tiered flash.
Nimble typically requires only one-third to one-fifth of the hardware of to that of the competitors to deliver the same or better performance and capacity.
Add on highly efficient snapshots and replication, plus the ability to independently (and non-disruptively) scale performance and capacity, and you start to see why Nimble have gained such momentum in the market.
To learn more about the Nimble offerings, please reach out to sales at Sunstar Company, Inc or call 310.330.2900