Blending flash-based solid state disk and hard disk drives to provide high performance at an affordable price seems to be a trend in the marketplace today. It seems as if every vendor offers a solution that meets this criteria. Bear in mind these systems are not the typical SAN storage arrays with a couple of SSD drives within the chassis. The controllers (often supporting multiple connectivity options) for Hybrid Storage Solutions along with the system itself have been optimized to address the question of how to best leverage flash by using flash as a large caching area, automatically moving the most active data into memory-based storage.
We at Sunstar Company work with a number of vendors that have Hybrid Storage offerings.
Nexsan’s (an Imation Company) hybrid offerings include:
Nexsan NST6000 Enterprise Class Unified Hybrid Storage
Nexsan NST6000MC Unified Hybrid Metro Storage Cluster
Nexsan NST4000 Unified Hybrid Storage for the Mid-Market
Nexsan NST2000 Unified Hybrid Storage for Entry-Level
Imation’s Nexsan® NST combines high performance, high capacity and innovative FASTier® caching technology to provide scalable performance for mixed application workloads and virtualized environments.
- Fulfills changing application and storage needs with unified NAS and SAN access capabilities in a single hybrid solution
- Lets you right-size your initial acquisition by scaling storage, performance, or both as your company grows
- Compresses data to reduce its storage system footprint and improve write efficiency to cache and storage
To learn more (or receive a quote) about Hybrid Storage and the Nexsan NST product line, please contact a sales representative here at Sunstar:
Imation Introduces the Nexsan™ Fibre Channel Hybrid Storage Appliance, Purpose-Built for Media and Entertainment and Data Protection Workloads
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
The NST2000 delivers next-generation hybrid caching technology to mid-sized organizations, fulfilling changing application and storage needs with new levels of performance, scalability and efficiency
Imation (NYSE:IMN), a global data storage and information security company, today at BVE 2015 in London introduced the Nexsan NST2000 – a new ultra-efficient hybrid storage appliance purpose-built for media and entertainment and data protection workloads that will deliver Fibre Channel connectivity and all the benefits of hybrid storage to mid-sized organizations. The NST2000 is only entry-level when it comes to its price point – it expands upon Imation’s Nexsan NST™ family of hybrid storage solutions, and will be spotlighted at Imation’s booth (M24) through the end of the show. It will be available in the second quarter.
The NST2000 delivers a powerful yet simple to deploy and manage hybrid storage solution using the latest high-performance technologies, and provides the scalability and flexibility to meet the needs of organizations that continue to rapidly add new applications to their environments. With an intelligent hybrid caching layer, NST2000 is optimized for mixed application workloads, media and entertainment workflows and data protection strategies. NST2000 also is ideal for organizations looking to strategically move toward hybrid storage and take advantage of the new levels of performance, availability and reliability it can deliver.
As with all of the hybrid storage systems in the NST product family, NST2000 has a standard all-inclusive software licensing model which includes features such as:
- Unified Fibre Channel Support – NST2000 expands the Nexsan NST family’s unified block and file sharing capabilities by adding Fibre Channel connectivity for those small and medium-sized organizations that prefer it for their applications. This gives organizations the ability to take advantage of the benefits of NST’s hybrid storage using a full range of unified storage protocols, including iSCSI, NFS, CIFS, FTP and now Fibre Channel.
- Capacity Scalability –NST2000 capacities start at 13TB and can scale up to 168TB and 2TB FASTier™ cache, delivering much more flexibility to IT administrators.
- Intelligent Hybrid Caching – The NST2000 combines Imation’s intelligent caching algorithms with solid-state disks (SSD’s) and the latest processor technology to provide blazing fast performance for business critical applications.
- Enhanced Data Reduction – The NST2000 delivers faster and smarter inline compression. Compressible data can be processed 50 percent faster than with preceding NST arrays, and intelligence removes the penalty of trying to act upon noncompressible data.
“With the introduction of the NST2000, organizations have an entirely new set of options for storing, managing and protecting the high-value data they create in situations like digital asset management in media and entertainment workflows,” said Mike Stolz, vice president of marketing and technical support for Imation’s Nexsan solutions. “They can deploy hybrid storage, realize new levels of performance, scale their data centers to new levels of capacity and much more – all at a price point that was previously inaccessible to them given their limited budgets and resources. We’re excited to help these organizations operate more efficiently and generate more ROI from their storage investment – and to add the NST2000 to help address a full range of application requirements.”
Imation’s Nexsan NST™ is a set of flexible hybrid storage appliances that scale to meet mid-sized organization application and storage needs with unified NAS and SAN access capabilities in a single solution. Other product lines in Imation’s deep Nexsan portfolio of purpose-built storage solutions are:
- Imation’s Nexsan E-Series™ is a family of high-density, high-performance and highly reliable storage solutions that can be directly attached or networked to workstations and servers.
- Imation’s Nexsan Assureon™ is a set of secure storage solutions that reduce storage cost by offloading and deduplicating data from primary storage that is infrequently used or has aged by policy.
For more information call Sunstar Company, Inc. (800) 663-5523
What is Unified Storage?
Often we at Sunstar Company are asked by prospective clients questions such as, “can you tell me the difference between SAN, NAS and Unified Storage?”
A simple explanation about Block and File Storage and the different connectivity options often suffice.
The looming questions, what about unified?”
Unified Storage is a storage system that makes it possible to run and manage files and applications from a single device.
Also unified storage system consolidates file-based and block-based access in a single storage platform.
Connectivity: Ideally Fibre Channel SAN, Ethernet and IP-based SAN (iSCSI) is supported. .
End Result: Block and File Storage, SAN and NAS in a single chassis.
To learn more and see some of the manufacturers that we recommend when you have a need for Unified Storage, please visit our Web Site at www.sunstarco.com
or call (310) 330-2900 (800) 663-5523
A Storage area network, or SAN, is a high-speed network of storage devices that also connects those storage devices with servers. It provides block-level storage that can be accessed by the applications running on any networked servers. SAN storage devices can include tape libraries, and, more commonly, disk-based devices, like RAID hardware.
A SAN must be highly available. A good SAN implementation will have built-in protection against just about any kind of failure imaginable. This means that not only must the links and switches composing the SAN infrastructure be able to survive component failures, but the storage devices, their interfaces to the SAN, and the computers themselves must all have built-in strategies for surviving and recovering from failures as well.
A good SAN delivers both high data transfer rates and low I/O request latency. Ideally, the SAN’s performance must be able to grow as the organization’s information storage and processing needs grow
A SAN that scales can provide a boost in performance with extra applications by separating high-volume I/O traffic from client/server message traffic.
Any well-managed enterprise will do a cost-benefit analysis before deciding to implement storage networking. The results of such an analysis will almost certainly indicate that the biggest payback comes from using a SAN to connect the enterprise’s most important data to the computers that run its most critical applications.
To learn more about SAN, NAS and Unified Storage, contact the sales team at Sunstar Company, call (800) 663-5523
Imation (NYSE:IMN), a global data storage and information security company, today at VMworld® 2014 introduced the NST4000 – a new ultra-efficient hybrid storage appliance purpose-built for media and entertainment and data protection workloads that will deliver Fibre Channel connectivity and new levels of capacity and performance to the mid-range enterprise. The NST4000, the latest addition to Imation’s Nexsan NST™ family of storage solutions, will be at Imation’s booth, #2505, through the end of the show and will be available for delivery in the fourth quarter.
The NST4000 delivers genuine, efficient hybrid storage with tremendous efficiency and processing power using the latest high-performance technologies as well as the flexibility to meet the needs of organizations that continue to rapidly add new applications to their environments. With an intelligent hybrid caching layer, NST4000 is especially well-suited for mid-sized data centers, mixed application workloads, data protection strategies and media and entertainment industry workflows.
Specifically, NST4000 offers significant new user benefits, including:
- Fibre Channel Support – NST4000 expands the Nexsan NST family’s unified block and file sharing capabilities by adding Fibre Channel connectivity for those mid-range enterprises that prefer it for their applications. This gives organizations the ability to take advantage of the benefits of NST’s hybrid storage using a full range of unified storage protocols, including iSCSI, NFS, CIFS, FTP and now Fibre Channel.
- Higher Capacity Scalability – A single NST4000 array can non-disruptively scale to 2.1PB. This represents 50 percent more storage capacity scale and 45 percent more FASTier™ cache scale than preceding NST arrays could offer, delivering much more flexibility to IT administrators.
- Increased Performance – The NST4000 can deliver three times as many IOPs as preceding NST storage solutions. This is accomplished by combining optimizations in NestOS 3.1 with Imation’s fault-tolerant FASTier™ DRAM caching technology, solid-state disks (SSDs) and the latest processor technology.
- Enhanced Data Reduction – The NST4000 delivers faster and smarter inline compression. Compressible data can be processed 50 percent faster, and intelligence removes the penalty of trying to act upon noncompressible data.
“It’s hard to properly allocate storage capacity to support existing needs and plan for future data growth, because new applications with varying workloads are being introduced and integrated all the time,” said Mike Stolz, vice president of marketing and technical support for Imation’s Nexsan solutions. “It’s also hard to ensure there’s enough storage performance to support application and user demands – and even harder to build an infrastructure that delivers the right balance of capacity, performance, efficiency and ROI for the organization given all of these variables. The new NST4000 combines our experience designing the best in high-capacity, high-reliability storage with our proprietary, self-tuning hybrid cache system to create the ultimate solution for efficient mid-range storage.”
“The new NST4000 is an Imation proof point that they are executing their strategy around its Nexsan product portfolio, including bringing new storage value and productivity to the market,” said Greg Schulz, principal at StorageIO. “Their NST4000 is a hybrid mid-range storage solution including software defined storage management that provides scalability of performance and capacity, along with the reliability associated with the Imation brand. Being a hybrid also means the NST4000 has the flexibility to connect to your applications using multi-protocol block (SAN) or file (NAS) as well as support SSD caching and various types of disk drives. It’s time to ask not what you can do for your storage system, rather what can your hybrid storage system do for you and your applications.”
“We and our customers have had great success with Nexsan NST hybrid storage appliances from Imation, so we’re really looking forward to integrating the new Nexsan NST4000 into our offerings,” said Mark Tuggle of USI Corporation. “Nexsan NST solutions are fast, flexible, dense, scalable and value-packed – all at a very reasonable price point.”
Imation’s Nexsan NST™ is a set of flexible hybrid storage appliances that scale to meet mid-sized organization application and storage needs with unified NAS and SAN access capabilities in a single solution. NST combines high performance, high capacity and Imation’s innovative FASTier™ caching technology to provide scaling performance for backup, virtualized environments and mixed application workloads. FASTier is NST’s hybrid caching layer that combines intelligent algorithms with high-performance DRAM and SSD technologies to grow performance cost-effectively when it is required. NST enables businesses to right size their initial acquisition and increase performance as their applications demand it. Also, NST’s data compression capabilities reduce storage system footprint in the data center and improve write efficiencies and performance to SSDs and HDDs.
The NST family is just one part of Imation’s deep Nexsan portfolio of purpose-built storage solutions, enabling users to deploy the right storage products for the right application. The other Nexsan product lines are:
- Imation’s Nexsan E-Series™ is a family of high-density, high-performance and highly reliable storage solutions that can be directly attached or networked to workstations and servers. E-Series delivers the density and efficiency that mid-sized organizations need to scale their capacity while lowering their overall space requirements and operating costs. All E-Series systems take the extra step to reduce power and cooling requirements through their multi-level, power-reducing AutoMAID™ capabilities. They also include an easy-to-use management interface that simplifies deployment and management for the resource-constrained IT administrator.
- Imation’s Nexsan Assureon™ is a set of secure storage solutions that reduce storage cost by offloading and deduplicating data from primary storage that is infrequently used or has aged by policy. Assureon, through policy automation, can eliminate or greatly reduce the size, cost and complexity of backups for primary and infrequently accessed data. Assureon includes multi-tenancy – with secure copy creation, data movement and long term storage – and chargeback capabilities for public and private cloud deployments. Data integrity features like file-fingerprinting and automated self-healing integrity checks ensure that your high-value data is protected. Assureon’s security features comply with corporate and governmental regulatory requirements and make it well suited for medical, financial and government organizations.
For more information on Imation’s Nexsan storage solutions, visit www.sunstarco.com or call 800.663.5523